Diving into the world of cooking can be a thrilling adventure, especially when you start with a recipe that’s both forgiving and flexible. This Homestyle Roasted Chicken and Vegetables is precisely that.
Designed for beginner chefs, this dish imparts foundational culinary skills, such as proper seasoning, oven temperature management, and recognizing when your poultry is perfectly cooked. As you roast the chicken and vegetables, you’ll learn the art of balancing flavors and textures, uncovering the secrets of how simple ingredients transform into a dish that warms the heart and satisfies the palate.
Furthermore, this recipe opens a world of culinary possibilities. It offers a starting point from which you can branch out, tweaking and adding as your confidence grows. For instance, you can experiment with different herb combinations—think sage, marjoram, or even a hint of mint for a surprising twist. Try swapping out the usual veggies for parsnips, sweet potatoes, or beetroot, or adding halved lemons, garlic cloves, or a splash of white wine into the roasting pan for an extra flavor punch.
Roasting a chicken might be a classic, but this recipe proves that classics can have many delightful variations. Every adjustment you make transforms the dish, reflecting your growing skills and personal taste preferences.
The Homestyle Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is more than just a meal; it’s a stepping stone on your culinary journey, a recipe that grows with you as you evolve from a kitchen novice to a confident home cook.
Homestyle Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Oven Roasted Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper to season
- 6 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter room temp
- 1 Lemon sliced
- 1 Small Yellow Onion sliced
Oven Roasted Vegetables
- 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 2 cups Brussel Sprouts cut in half
- 1 Carrot thinly sliced on a bias
- 1 Small Red Onion sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper to Season
- Oven Roasted Chicken
- 1 Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2 Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- 3 In a bowl combine butter, thyme, and garlic. Slide your fingers under the skin of the chicken and rub the butter mixture under the skin directly onto the meat. Then, rub some butter all over the exterior of the chicken.
- 4 On a sheet pan, lay lemon slices and onion slices down in the center of the pan. Lay the seasoned chicken on top of the lemon and onion.
- 5 Place pan in the oven and bake until golden brown and chicken reaches 160 degrees internally. About 30-35 minutes.
Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Slice down all the veggies. Place veggies on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat the veggies evenly. Spread veggies back out onto the sheet pan and place in the oven at 425 degrees until toasted and tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove veggies from the oven. Serve with the roasted chicken.